Buying a house is a big decision with lots of emotional and financial strings attached to it, so it’s important to know everything there is to a property before committing to a purchase.
As qualified and licensed electricians in Geelong, we suggest our customers to request a thorough electrical inspection of the property they are planning to purchase in order to avoid future costly repairs that can be caused due to house fires, burnt out appliances, blown fuses and much more.
So we have made a small checklist for you to tick off and have the peace of mind that you are stepping into a house that is safe from potential electrical hazards.
Faulty Power points
Power points are probably the most used electrical fixture in our homes and hence they are prone to damage and wear due to excessive use.
Wonky switches, cracked exterior, loose connections and sparking are all some of the most common problems that can happen to power points. Luckily, since power points are located in sight, these issues can be easily detected and fixed, before they can cause some significant damage.
Also make sure all lights, power points and appliances have safety switches in good working order so it’s not hazardous when appliances are plugged in.
Are you buying an old home in Geelong? Wiring is the first thing to look into.
Electrical wiring has a life span and when wiring becomes too old it may not remain as safe as new wiring. Older homes may even have wiring that doesn’t live up to the newer codes and may not be able to take on the load of modern appliances.
Unlike power points, problems with electrical wiring cannot be detected with naked eye and need to be tested before it can cause any damage.
A home with an old switch board is an open invitation to electrical hazards. Old switchboards with ceramic fuses cannot handle today’s electrical demands placed by modern appliances like dish washers, washing machines, ovens, heating and cooling systems, dryers, microwaves, kettles and coffer makers.
But that’s not all. They can be a major culprit behind blown fuses, flickering lights, tripping circuit breakers, over-heated wiring, short circuiting appliances and the list goes on.
Having your house checked before making a purchase can save you from potential electrical hazards down the line costing your money and your wellbeing.
As licensed electricians in Geelong, we can carry out a thorough electrical inspection of the property you are planning to purchase and will provide you with all the information you need with respect to electrical safety, so you can be sure you have made the right decision.
Feel free to give us a call today and we will be more than happy to assist you!